Advancing Mathematics and Science Skills Program
SCEAL sponsors the Advancing Mathematics and Science Skills (AMASS) Program. AMASS is an intense two-week residential summer program designed to:
- Build a strategic pipeline for high-achieving STEM students;
- Document students’ interest in science/science careers;
- Build confidence in various science process skills;
- Increase knowledge of the college application process; and
- Increase college access by providing SAT preparation for students.
Eligibility and Requirements
North Carolina rising high school juniors and seniors with a GPA of 3.0 or higher are eligible for the Program.
A typical day at the AMASS Program consists of:
- General assembly sessions on topics such as the college admissions process, science careers, time management, financial budgeting, life skills and etiquette training, career planning and getting ready for college
- SAT preparation. The SAT preparation courses consist of three 50-minute sessions each day on critical reading and vocabulary, mathematics, test-taking and writing which are instructed by mathematics and English faculty members at NCA&T.
- Field trips
- Hands-on laboratory experiences in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.